Sunday, September 16, 2007

Northern (High) Lights

Recently, I took a trip with my sister to Canada to do a little shopping, eating and relaxing. The US dollar is so weak, that our initial idea to go to Europe was pretty much thrown out the window. Canada offered a better exchange rate (although at 1 to 1, the Canadian dollar is at its strongest against the US one too), a less than 2 hour flight, and no jet lag.

We enjoyed shopping in Montreal and enjoying the food and architecture of Quebec. Then, I had a day to kill in Toronto before meeting up with my husband. I hadn't been able to get my roots touched up with a fresh set of highlights and hoped I could get it done in Toronto. Who did I call for advice on a salon? My favorite Canadian beauty bloggers/podcasters: Lipgloss & Laptops. Kerry Anne replied to my query super-fast, even getting her pals in Toronto to help guide my selection. Thanks Kerry Anne!

Unfortunately ,I got to Toronto late and didn't get to book an appointment at my first choice, an Aveda salon. Next choice had been recommended by several of Kerry Anne's friends - called Coupe Bizarre. With a name that translates to something like "Bizarre Haircut", I had to check the place out in person.

image from Montreal Mirror


I admit it: I was scared off by the asymetrical cuts, chunky striped highlights and a pervading aesthetic of tattoos and piercings. Have you ever noticed that Canadian gals are more adventurous in their hairstyles? It's true, it's like everyone is a rock star. Before you think me too straight-laced, know this: I do have a tattoo! But I also work in corporate America and have a preppy side, so an avante-garde look just in time for 4 romantic days away with my husband was not going to work.

So what's a girl with 1-inch roots to do? I decided that my highlights were already too bleached out and I'd be putting in some lowlights at my next salon visit. I had a brainstorm while walking through Shopper's Drug Mart (a much nicer store than the name suggests, even carrying luxury brands...). I would get a color-depositing glaze to tone down my highlights for the week in question.

I purchased Clairol's Color Boosting Glaze in #8, For Medium to Dark Blonde Hair. Back at the hotel, I followed the directions very faithfully, first dampening my hair, then saturating it with the glaze. I let it sit 5 minutes, then rinsed it out. Then, I added the ColorSeal Conditioning Gloss, let that sit for 2 minutes, then rinsed it out.

Unfortunately, when I tried to dry my hair, it was really gummy! There should be a shampooing step somewhere - because water alone (especially with less-than-great water pressure) didn't seem to get it all out. I hopped back in the shower and shampooed. I probably compromised the glaze, much like you're not supposed to wash your hair after a perm. But c'mon, I couldn't walk around the city looking liked I'd poured baby oil all over my head.

After the second wash and dry, I have to say - it did its job. The Color Boosting Glaze is NOT recommended for highlights, actually... but since I wanted it to tone down my highlights and achieve a more homogenous hair color, it was perfect.

A week after I got home, I went to my Old Faithful salon, where I got fresh highlights, fall-appropriate low-lights, and a just-edgy-enough-for-suburbia version of the bob. Kinda like Posh Spice meets the Stepford Wives. And I'm quite happy about it!

7 Comments:

At 11:48 PM, Blogger Kerry Anne said...

Glad you had a great trip. Better safe than sorry with the hair. I've also got about an inch of roots right now.
That product you used sounds like it would also be a bust on my fine hair. Gummy? Yuck.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Beauty Chick! I must ask: what is your Old Faithful salon? I head downtown to Arrojo -- love that they can do the edgier styles as well as the more polished, conservative ones (mine).

 
At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post! It's always an adventure trying to find a salon while you're traveling. It can be fun, but it could be a disaster as well. Sounds like it all worked out for the best!

Cheers,
Bionic Beauty

 
At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

true religion jeans, nike air max pas cher, coach outlet, ray ban uk, true religion outlet, timberland pas cher, nike blazer pas cher, nike tn pas cher, sac guess pas cher, michael kors, michael kors, coach outlet store online, north face pas cher, longchamp soldes, vans pas cher, louboutin pas cher, hollister uk, lululemon outlet, true religion outlet, true religion outlet, hermes pas cher, michael kors outlet online, kate spade outlet, michael kors uk, hogan sito ufficiale, nike roshe run pas cher, north face uk, converse, abercrombie and fitch, coach outlet, longchamp pas cher, coach purses, polo lacoste pas cher, vanessa bruno pas cher, nike air max, kate spade, lunette ray ban pas cher, lunette oakley pas cher, chanel handbags, nike air force, burberry pas cher, jordan pas cher, new balance, nike free pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher

 
At 3:59 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

It appears Aqib Talib pulled a Plaxico Burress.

When news first broke that the Denver Broncos cornerback Nike Air Max 90 had been shot, the details were awfully strange, as Talib told Dallas police, “Everything was a blur Nike Free Run and I was too intoxicated to nfl jerseys store remember what happened,” wholesale nfl jerseys the location of the shooting NFL Jerseys – either a nightclub or a neighborhood Nike Air Max 2015 Shoes park (or a grassy knoll, perhaps?) – was called into question, and a police Nike Roshe Run report claimed the bullet entered his right thigh and exited his right calf, cheap nfl jerseys which suggested it traveled straight down his leg.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home