Sunday, July 01, 2007

Pedi Crimes

Every weekend, I say that I need to go get a pedicure. And somehow, every weekend I manage to get busy (ok, lazy), and I don't do it. It's no longer the beginning of the summer. It's July 1 - and I've run out of excuses. It's time for a DIY Pedi.


Fortunately, I got my hands on some great products that make doing a pedicure at home a much more pleasant and easy experience.

SKIN CARE
Dr. Scholl's is a brand that knows feet - they've been in the foot care business for over 100 years. Recently, they've gotten much more hip and understanding of how women's feet are different from men's - and the fact that our sense of aesthetics is far more advanced! Hence, the new Dr. Scholl's For Her line. They bring you pedicare products, shoe insoles and problem solvers in seriously upgraded, cute packaging. With the following steps, my at-home pedi was almost as good as one in the salon.
1. Soak feet in warm soapy water.

2. Scrub with Dr. Scholl's for her Pumice Foot Scrub (if they're seriously bad, use their battery-operated Rough Skin Remover tool - shown above - to remove calluses).

3. Hydrate with Advanced Foot Repair Cream. Or, if you're going places immediately, I love the Foot Serum - it provides intensive moisturization with a super light, silky feel so you're not slip-sliding in your shoes.

4. If necessary, take care of any problems (corns, calluses, warts, blisters) with the appropriate Dr. Scholl's fix-her-up-ers. Nobody wants to see that nastiness!


NAIL CARE
Between Sephora and the Sally Hansen section of my local drugstore, I was able to find all that I need to create a great at-home pedi... and at reasonable prices, too!

1. Trim nails straight across with a good toenail clipper. Don't try using a fingernail clipper, or you'll get scalloped edges along the edge of your big toe nail. File smooth.

2. Push back cuticles with a great tool. I love this one from Sephora.

3. Trim off any hangnails or excess cuticles with a Cuticle Nipper

4. Use nail polish remover to clean nails of excess lotion and old polish.

5. Separate toes if necessary with a foam separator, cotton or just wound up paper towel.

6. Apply base coat to protect nails from yellowing. I like multi-tasking products, so Sally Hansen Diamond Shine Base & Top Coat is a good one because it's a base and a top coat.

7. Apply 2 coats of color. I'm in love with Sally Hansen's new Salon Nail Lacquer. Here's why: you don't see any brush marks in the color after applying! It kind of self-heals and forms a uniform coat on my nails, even when I apply it clumsily. Perfect for when you're a bit unsteady bending over your toes or applying with your less-dominant hand. Best colors? For me, I just love deep, shimmery red for pedicures, so Wine Not? and Ru-be or Not to Be are awesome.

8. Finish off with an application of top coat and DO NOT DISTURB. Go read a magazine or sip a glass of wine while they dry.
Now, that wasn't so bad! I didn't have to worry about the cleanliness of my tools or squirm with ticklishness when the pedicurist tried to scrub my soles. Plus, it was cheap and easy - and I'll always have the color on hand to do my own touch ups. You can flaunt a cheap & easy pedi for up to two weeks, if you hydrate feet nightly and apply more top coat every few days.

6 Comments:

At 5:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I have looked through your blog and found it very informative and catchy. I like the way you write and the topics you choose. Some of your latest posts are really interesting, especially regarding cancer.

I would like to introduce you to my blog www.tiptop-watches.com - I hope you like it. My blog includes information on celebrities and fashion, watches, the history of luxury timepieces and latest news from the Swiss watchmaking industry.

I would like to exchange links with you.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.
Admin.

 
At 2:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

check out my website: www.christopherdrummond.com
a great new organic makeup line.

Oh! check out my blog too...I just started it, so not much is on yet, but it's going to have a lot of great stuff!!!

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger The App Goddess said...

I love the Sally Hanson Salon line, but I haven't seen that color.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger yummy411 said...

oh i'd love to try the dr. scholls battery operated rough skin remover. my feet aren't THAT rough.. it just seems to make the process a whole lot easier!

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Air said...

Great post!

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger christie said...

Have you ever experienced a problem with the 'Creative' brand of nail polish? I bought the nylon blonde and can't seem to keep the streaks off. At $6 a pop I thought it would be much better :~(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home