Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Face Mask Fancies

It's funny when you think about how early beauty culture starts. My nieces, ages 8 and 10, slept over a few weeks ago. They know I have buckets of beauty products and always want to play. I can't indulge their bubble bath dreams due to their sensitive skin. And their mother won't be too thrilled if I paint their faces Jean Benet Ramsey style. So what's a cool aunt to do?

This time, the girls had an idea: they wanted to do face masks. And they were very specific. The mask should be green, and they wanted to have cucumber slices on their eyes. Where do they get these ideas? I know the image, like the one above, is fairly iconic of a day at the spa, but I didn't realize that kids who are otherwise preoccupied with gymnastics and softball would already have picked up on such an icon of beauty culture.

So of course I had to indulge. We bought a cucumber at the store. But I kind of forgot about the mask part (and frankly thought they'd be more into watching the Lion King Part 2 to remember the request). Well, they remembered. And I scrambled to deliver.

First - no green mask in any of my beauty buckets. Oil-absorbing, anti-aging, and painful peel-off vareities, yes. But all ran the risk abusing their already perfectly smooth and even complexions. So I had a brainstorm. Let's make a mask! Kitchen ingredients must be innocuous, and I dug into my memory for my own childhood mask recipes.

As I rifled through fridge and pantry, I scouted possible ingredients. I combined yogurt, coconut milk (left over from an exotic cooking experiment), honey, and oatmeal (the instant kind was all I had). The girls were skeptical, especially because it wasn't the requisite mint green shade. Would that I'd had avocado or at least green food coloring! They consented to try the masks on their faces, which I had to apply as they laid down, lest the chunks of oatmeal fall off. They giggled at how cold it was (fridge fresh!). It was fun, but not quite as restful and luxurious as they'd hoped!

What I later discovered was that the ingredients I sourced ARE actually good for skin!

  • YOGURT: The lactic acid in yogurt softens and soothes the skin. Think about how Cleopatra famously bathed in milk to keep her skin smooth! Nobody knows more about yogurt than the Greeks, and Greek brand Korres has a yogurt mask that uses the power of active yogurt and watercress extract to instantly hydrate and comfort oily skin that feels dehydrated.
  • HONEY: Honey cleanses and moisturizes skin. Honey is a humectant, which means it attracts and retains water. So honey is a natural fit for a variety of moisturizing products including cleansers, creams, shampoos and conditioners. Because honey is also an anti-irritant, it is suitable for sensitive skin and baby care products. (Thanks to Pioneer Thinking for the info!)
  • COCONUT MILK: Coconut milk is both nourishing and smoothening for the skin. Woman Junction recommends the following hydration mask: Mix half a cup of canned coconut milk, warmed in the microwave until runny - about 30 seconds on high - mixed with 2 tbsp of honey. Massage into the skin, rinse off after about 10 mins.
  • OATMEAL: Oatmeal is already known to calm skin, ease itching and exfoliate. According to Aveeno, who offers many oatmeal-based beauty products, oats have a rich history going back to the ancient Greeks and Romans who used oat baths to heal skin ailments.

Based on this info, I'm thrilled to discover that not only did I help the girls play "spa day", but I also whipped up something that is good for them, inside and out!

7 Comments:

At 9:08 PM, Blogger Jazmin said...

How cool! It sounds like you had a lot of fun -- and be thankful that you didn't have the green food coloring around. That stuff can be hard to wash off!

Good luck with Comments 4 a Cure!

 
At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "Fashion is Not a Luxury" it is actually really nice in person.

 
At 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look at this post about winter face masks!

 
At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you had used green coloring.. it probably would have stained their skin! good thing..

 
At 6:22 AM, Anonymous organic facial wash said...

Good one. I agree with that list. I regularly use yogurt for my skin and really feel fresh through it and it makes my skin soft. Along with that list, I would also suggest lemon, cucumber and aloe-vera because they also have good skin benefiting properties.
Thanks for sharing a healthy content here.

 
At 3:20 AM, Anonymous removing moles said...

Is Laser Mole Removal is safe??Please suggest me some natural method for removing moles.

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

It appears Aqib Talib pulled a Plaxico Burress.

When news first broke that the Denver Broncos cornerback Nike Air Max 90 had been shot, the details were awfully strange, as Talib told Dallas police, “Everything was a blur Nike Free Run and I was too intoxicated to nfl jerseys store remember what happened,” wholesale nfl jerseys the location of the shooting NFL Jerseys – either a nightclub or a neighborhood Nike Air Max 2015 Shoes park (or a grassy knoll, perhaps?) – was called into question, and a police Nike Roshe Run report claimed the bullet entered his right thigh and exited his right calf, cheap nfl jerseys which suggested it traveled straight down his leg.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home