Pink Ribbons Everywhere
Back in May, I wrote a post about beauty brands that support Breast Cancer Awareness. Now that it's Breast Cancer Awareness month, and so many sources have covered the issue so well, I thought I'd skip the topic. But I can't - I just found out that one of my girlfriends was diagnosed with breast cancer last week. At age 33. So I would like to add my voice to the call for awareness and support.
Early detection is key. Please see your doctor regularly and do monthly breast self-exams (BSE) starting at age 20. I've had two friends under 35 diagnosed with breast cancer, so please don't think that you can put it off. Remind all of the women you know and love! Here are some BSE resources:
- The Liv Breast Self-Exam Kit provides ease and effectiveness for your monthly breast self-exam. The Liv aid has two sheets of soft, latex-free polyurethane filled with liquid lubricant. During an exam, the bottom layer stays put, while the top moves for reduced friction -- and enhanced touch.
- Comprehensive audio/video BSE instructions can be found on the Komen website
- Or just print out this handy guide and tape it inside your closet door so you are reminded.
SUPPORT OUR SISTERS
During the month of October, there is a huge outpouring of breast cancer awareness. Every year it seems more companies jump on the bandwagon, offering products that raise funds for developing a cure and assisting women who are affected. Rather than create another list of the great products out there, I'm going to refer you to folks who've done the legwork for us - thank you!
Use these resources to find products that can make you feel beautiful - and help put an end to this disease.
- The Breast Cancer Research Foundation lists out their cause-supporing "Pink Buys" (shown above), with 14 beauty items including Jo Malone and Creme de la Mer
- Sephora features "Beauty with a Cause" - 15 gorgeous pink ribbon products including Murad, LORAC, Stila and Skyn Iceland
- Beauty.com lists out 9 great products, including Paula Dorf, Urban Decay and Jen Lew
- Glam.com provides products ranging from apparel, beauty and home
- Beautiful Makeup Search has gone all the way, with 19 posts so far reviewing individual beauty products that help raise funds. Truly inspiring.
- All About the Pretty lists beauty, fashion and home products that support the cause
- Beauty Addict, as usual, provides well-chosen picks
- A Socialite's Life takes time out from gossip to list her fave breast cancer awareness beauty goodies
- Beauty and Fitness Addict takes a short break from beauty to point out pink tools to make housework and exercise more fun
- Beauty Banter raves about Boscia's Rose Blotting Linens
- eBeauty Daily reviews Chi's pink flat iron and hairdryer
- Lipstick, Powder N Paint reviews Bare Escentuals' Rose Radiance Collection
Happy shopping - and remember to stay aware of breast cancer every month of the year!