Test Tube, baby!
Today, I received my first TestTube by special delivery. No, I haven't enrolled in a chemistry correspondence course. I've signed up to receive New Beauty magazine's product sampler that comes in a cutely-designed "testing" tube.
The idea is simple: sign up and you'll receive 4 tubes a year. You pay $25 per tube (plus $6.95 shipping, but they do send via FedEx so it's speedy) and you receive a tube filled with generous samples and other goodies and a handy guide explaining how the products are to be used. Then, you can go to New Beauty's website and write reviews of the products - and get the chance to win a $1,000 shopping spree at Nordstrom.
The first test tube contained 6 products and a gift certificate with a total value of over $200. The products are quite skincare-oriented:
- GoSMILE’s Weekender Kit, $15 value
- Dr. Brandt’s Laser in a Bottle, Laser Tight, $40 value
- Obagi Systems Professional-C Eye Serum - full size, $75 value
- Jane Iredale PurePressed Pressed Minerals (Must note: these were missing from my tube - perhaps they've run out?), $15 value
- Babor HSR Lifting Cream for Eyes, $15 value
- NIA 24 Physical Cleansing Scrub, Skin Strengthening Complex and 100% Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30, $20 value
- Spalook.com Gift Certificate worth $25
So basically, you get a huge amount of value for spending around $30, when shipping is considered. You get to try out new products and know that your opinion will be heard by the companies making them. And then, even if you didn't like any of the stuff you got for free in the tube, you still get your $25 back to pick out exactly what you want from Spalook.com. Personally, I'm going for some nice, yummy-smelling bath products from Molton Brown. And watch out for Spalook's free shipping days to maximize your value.
Brands to look for in the next TestTube are below. (Note: New Beauty's site doesn't say when they're switching from the current selection to the new one, so order soon if you liked the product list above.)
- Frederic Fekkai
- Youngblood mineral cosmetics
- Skingenic Indochine