Saturday, February 04, 2006

Burmese Dreams


I visited Myanmar (formerly known as Burma) last month. Having been closed for so long, this land is relatively untouched by time and the influence of the West - filled with mysterious temples, men in sarongs called longee and women who make up their faces with thanaka, a whitish paste made from the bark of a tree.

Thanaka is used in the Myanmar countryside as a natural (and free) sunscreen and skin protectant. It is a unique practice in Southeast Asia and has become so closely associated with Myanmar's national identity that even as the country modernizes, urban women use it in a stylized fashion, creating circles, lines or patterns of leaves on their cheekbones to wear to work or while running errands.


I had the pleasure of trying thanaka myself from a vendor selling jars of the pre-ground paste. She mixed the dry paste - which smells delightfully of sandalwood - with a small quantity of water and applied it to my cheeks. Then she used a special brush to create a horizontally striped pattern on my cheeks. As it dried, it created a nice cooling sensation and the color lightened (but still could barely be seen against my fair complexion).

Thus made up, I walked among Yangon's most famed temples and I caught many Burmese looking at me and smiling. I was afraid they'd perceive my cultural experience as mockery or inappropriate, but our guide assured me they thought it was adorable.

Visit Myanmar for yourself - before the men shed their longee for blue jeans and thanaka has been replaced by Western cosmetics.

6 Comments:

At 1:37 PM, Blogger Real Girl said...

It *is* adorable!!

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger Beauty Chick said...

Quite a compliment coming from the "Real Girl" herself! :)

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger CaliforniaStyle said...

Great pictures! My parents grew up in Burma but I've never been...adorable. I'm new to blogging and found yours interesting...I'm also writing out beauty products that I like to use. Would love to hear more about your recommendations.

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger Beauty Chick said...

Hi CaliforniaStyle! I just checked out your blog and it's awesome and adorable. I just got back from a trip and will be updating soon so please stay tuned.

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

zhengjx20160604
louis vuitton handbags
supra for sale
louis vuitton outlet
michael kors handbags
michael kors outlet online
toms shoes outlet online
burberry outlet online
kobe 8
coach outlet
nike store outlet
nike air max uk
louis vuitton outlet
pandora charms
toms outlet
michael kors outlet
designer handbags
coach outlet online
louis vuitton
louis vuitton handbags
oakley outlet
michael kors canada outlet
coach factory outlet online
louis vuitton bags
air jordan femme
celine bags
louis vuitton purses
cheap rolex watches
michael kors purses
adidas yeezy
michael kors outlet clearance
kate spade handbags
fitflop shoes
nike roshe run mens
jordan 6s
michael kors outlet
cheap toms
ray ban sunglasses
fit flops
true religion outlet
coach factory outlet

 
At 8:50 AM, Anonymous https://obatherbalalamimembantuatasipenyakit.wordpress.com/2018/08/13/tips-sehat-pengobatan-untuk-mengatasi-infeksi-rahim-secara-alami-aman-tanpa-efek-samping/ said...

The article is very helpful, thanks for sharing information

Pengobatan Fistula Ani Tanpa Operasi
Cara Alami Mengobati Ginjal Bengkak

 

Post a Comment

<< Home