Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Tweeze Freeze

You know how hard it is not to touch your brows between waxing! These insolent little stragglers show up and as you reach for your Tweezerman, you remember your brow sylist's warning to let them grow out and recover from your LAST over-zealous tweeze-fest (note to self: Chardonnay and plucking don't mix). So I was a good girl and waited until the growth was too much to bear and made an appointment at the Anastasia brow studio at Sephora on 5th Avenue.



First, my tech Sonia praised both my self-restraint and my brows in general. Then she showed me the three points in a well-shaped brow. 1. Find the start of the brow by tracing up vertically from the side of the nose. 2 The end point is found when you make a line from the nose to the outer corner of the eye. 3 The high point of the arch is just outside your iris. As Sonia traced these lines on me, she marked the three points with a bit of dark powder on a smudger brush.

Points thus established, she then selected the right stencil for me. I am the 'high arch'. The stencil is applied over the brows and aligned with the three points. Next she colored in the stencil with dark powder. The idea is to see what your brow will look like before waxing. Once you're happy, she removes all hair that's outside the lines. Her ultra-precision was amazing, and she even left a few hairs untouched so they can grow in and replace what I'd mistakenly removed. the finishing touch was trimming my brows with scissors so they were neat and trim.

My brows looked great, perfectly shaped for my face and beautifully symmetrical (something I can rarely achieve). But that was not the end! No, she applied concealer to cover the redness, filled in the brows with powder with a stiff angled brush, and drew ribbons of highlighter underneath to show off my perfect arches. The makeup created a stronger brow look than I'm used to, but I think I dig it. I do plan to purchase the under-brow "Eye Lights Shimmer" stick - it added so much light to my face!

She suggested that I come back in 6-8 weeks, but said I could pop in for free touch-ups in between... anything to stop me from being a do-it-myself brow gal (and, of course, to keep me as a client)!

Price: $32 plus tip. Verdict: no spa-like experience,this: she was a little rough at times. But I loved the attention to detail with measuring and stencilling. The results are great. I'll be back.

If you ARE a DIY yourself gal, you can get a great system for home use! Get Anastasia's All About Brows Kit ($141 value for $75) and you can replicate the steps above at home. Just put the wine glass down first!


Images from Sephora.com , except the 3-point guide is from Laurie Anne Lamothe, inspirational coach.

6 Comments:

At 11:11 PM, Blogger Dinah said...

I am totally thinking of getting that.

 
At 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to be in NY over the weekend of the 19th - I'm really tempted to try this out. The only problem is, I don't know if I can not pluck until then. 2 questions - how much was it and was it hard to get an appointment?

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Beauty Chick said...

Hi beauty bug! It was $32 plus tip, and I got an appointment by calling same day and got the time I wanted. There are about 4 chairs at the 5th avenue location, and there is also a brow studio at the Sephora in Times Square. So it should be pretty easy to get an appointment, but do call ahead if going on a weekend.

If you can't resist plucking, try at least to avoid plucking near your brow's contour line. Far-away stragglers would be removed by the technician anyway. Let us know how it goes!

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger yummy411 said...

great post! your posts are always so informative! you def. make sense of all those diagrams out there.

 
At 1:09 AM, Anonymous Sonia Sanchez said...

Thank You for posting a blog about the technique I walked you through. I really love what I do and Im thrilled that you thought your brows looked great(sooo sorry if I was a little rough). It's such a rewarding feeling when someone appreciates your work. Im also super flattered that you remembered my name. Thank you for the recognition!!!!!

 
At 3:25 AM, Blogger John said...

ugg boots
gucci outlet
hollister kids
oakley sunglasses wholesale
cheap jordans
ugg boots sale
nike trainers
chanel handbags
ugg boots outlet
jordan shoes
gucci outlet
pandora jewelry
adidas originals
louis vuitton
ugg australia
ugg outlet
ray ban outlet
ugg outlet
tory burch outlet online
michael kors outlet
coach factory outlet
giuseppe zanotti sneakers
ugg boots
michael kors outlet online
louis vuitton
uggs outlet
ugg boots on sale
tory burch outlet
uggs clearance sale outlet
cheap oakleys
pandora jewelry
canada goose outlet
louis vuitton outlet
michael kors outlet clearance
20151221yuanyuan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home